Thursday, October 28, 2010

Funeral of Grandmother in North Sumatra


When I was 5 years old, I went to attended the funeral of my grandmother from my father. The tradition of death in Batak Toba is called Saur Martua. Saur Matua is a traditional ritual performed to give final tribute to their mother or father who died at the old age.
The process of my grandmother's funeral spent a few days. In there we had the customary party of Sari Martua. The party consist of cutting the buffalo before the sunrise and the meat was used for ritual ceremonies and feast. This ritual begins with a ceremony in the house, followed by a ritual in the yard. Before the meat put on in the yard, the ceremony preceded with given ulos tujung by the brother of the deceased father.
There are many various processions of funeral in North Sumatra and I can’t tell you anymore because the process is still lots. It was my first time to attended funeral in North Sumatra.

No comments:

Post a Comment